Saturday, July 1, 2023

United Kingdom - Mae Muller - I Wrote A Song

25 - 24 pts, not in semi

Mae Muller was chosen as the 2023 entrant for the U.K.  Her Song I Wrote A Song was revealed and released on March 9.
The song was written by herself with Lewis Thompson and Karen Pool.

A cdsingle is expected on May 12. Pre-order here. Yes, it's back on after the initial bunch of 500 signed copies ran out.
The version on the video was released as a digital track on March 31.
An acoustic version was released on April 14.
Another version featuring French singer Vendredi Sur Mer was released April 21st. Vendredi's part is sung in French. The Topic remix was released on the same day.
A longer version of the Topic remix is available through DJ services like Beatport. (Thanks Krzysztof) (See versions below on more on DJ Services).

More remixes were released on April 28 with again longer versions available through Beatport. (see comments) and another one was added on Mae 5.
The same day Apple Music added a 3-track digital EP including a live version, a live cover of ABBA's S.O.S. and the single version of her ESC song.

The Eurovision Song Contest edit is the video edit but it has different lyrics in the talking part. (see comments) and was released as another digital single on May 14. 

AVOID: A cdsingle (they even call it promo) with remixes available on e-bay is not official and has low audio quality mostly unofficial versions.
It appears to come from the same source as the similar counterfeits of Sweden, Norway and Israel.

Sorry I'm Late
An album is on the way. Sorry I'm Late will be out on September 15 and available on CD, Red vinyl LP and cassettes
All formats including a limited edition signed copy of the vinyl are pre-orderable here.
I Wrote A Song is included. Tracklist at the end of this post.
pre release image

Versions:
I Wrote A Song - Eurovision Song Contest edit
- digital 14-4
The ESC edit is the video version but with a different text in the spoken part, as performed at the contest (see comments)
I Wrote A Song - single version
- digital 9-3, on the official album
I Wrote A Song - video version
- audio release 31-3
The videoversion has an added intro not on the digital single and a longer spoken part. (see comments)
I Wrote A Song - acoustic
- digital 14-4
I Wrote A Song - English/French feat. Vendredi Sur Mer
- digital 21-4
I Wrote A Song - Topic remix (2:50)
- digital 14-4, also on DMC DJ CD DMCHits 217
I Wrote A Song - Spencer Ramsey Bounce edit (2:41)
- digital 28-4, also on DMC DJ CD  DMCHits 218
I Wrote A Song - Jay Dixie remix (2:41)
- digital 28-4
I Wrote A Song - Jolyon Petch remix (2:44)
- digital 5-5, also on DMC DJ CD Pop 327
I Wrote A Song - Live
- digital 5-5 at Apple music/iTunes only
I Wrote A Song - karaoke (of single version)
On the official karaoke album (digital)

DJ Services
Not all versions are available through your regular digital outlets. Below are versions/edits spotted through DJ services like Beatport, DJ Pool and others.
I Wrote A Song - Topic remix (3:47)
I Wrote A Song - Topic remix instrumental (2:50)
I Wrote A Song - Spencer Ramsey Bounce extended (3:27)
I Wrote A Song - Spencer Ramsey Bounce instrumental (3:27)
I Wrote A Song - Jolyon Petch extended (3:52)
I Wrote A Song - Jay Dixie remix extended (3:42)
- Dixie extended also on DMC DJ CD Extra Mixes Vol. 195
I Wrote A Song - DJ Crow remix

Crate Connect, another DJ only service has the following in its release list:
I Wrote A Song (Jay Dixie Rmx) Intro) Radio) (3:08)I Wrote A Song (Jay Dixie Rmx) Quick Hit) Radio) (2:28)I Wrote A Song (Joylon Petch Rmx) Intro) Radio) (3:10)I Wrote A Song (Joylon Petch Rmx) Quick Hit) Radio) (1:34)
I Wrote A Song (Wingman remix) (3:03)

Franchise record pool has these
I Wrote A Song (Intro radio) (3:02)
I Wrote A Song (Intro Outro) (6:22)
I Wrote A Song (Mega Kutz) (4:14)
I Wrote A Song (Snip Hitz (5:09)

* I know the DJ only stuff is a grey area but I include those available through (paid for) DJ services.
I don't include remixes that are only on Youtube or soundcloud.

Charts
U.K. top 100 (OCC): 30, 61, 95, -, re: 97, 45, 9, 18, 48, 61
U.K. Sales top 100 (OCC): 10, 3, 15, 30, 18, 23, 24, 38, 19, 10, 3, 12, 17, 57, -, 18, -   
U.K. Physical top 100 (OCC): 4, 11, 2, 13, 35, 4, 38, 54, 80, -, re: 31, 68
Ireland top 100 (IRMA): 44, 80, -

Links and sources:
Mae Muller WebsiteFBInsta
Thanks to Marcin, Earl and Krzysztof.
Sam Ryder also gave us loads of versions of his Space Man.

Sorry I'm Late (CD version)



14 comments:

  1. The difference between the regular and video versions is not just in the additional intro, the spoken bit in the middle eight is also much longer in the video version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s Vendredi Sur Mer, not Du Mer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longer remix available from Beatport:
    https://www.beatport.com/release/i-wrote-a-song/4102790

    ReplyDelete
  4. Topic remix instrumental is not available anywhere at all.
    Why just write without giving a link as proof?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://djpoolrecords.com/digital-music-pool-20-04-2023/

      Delete
    2. Yuo can find it online from unauthorised sources as well but officially I think it's strictly promo/DJ-only.

      Delete
  5. Once again, longer versions of the Jay Dixie and Spencer Ramsay remixes are available from Beatport:
    https://www.beatport.com/release/i-wrote-a-song/4111130

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a surprise but a longer version of the new Jolyon Petch remix is available from Beatport.

    Also, a live EP has been released:
    https://music.apple.com/pl/album/i-wrote-a-song-live-single/1685937582

    ReplyDelete
  7. An instrumental version of the Spencer Ramsay remix is also doing the rounds, sourced from a digital promo:

    https://www.discogs.com/release/26922443-Mae-Muller-I-Wrote-A-Song-Remixes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krzysztof, 16 versions and counting...

      Delete
  8. Four more DJ-intro-remixes available on Crate Connect:

    Mae Muller - I Wrote A Song (Jay Dixie Rmx) Intro) Radio) (3:08)
    Mae Muller - I Wrote A Song (Jay Dixie Rmx) Quick Hit) Radio) (2:28)
    Mae Muller - I Wrote A Song (Joylon Petch Rmx) Intro) Radio) (3:10)
    Mae Muller - I Wrote A Song (Joylon Petch Rmx) Quick Hit) Radio) (1:34)

    see here: https://crateconnect.net/new-releases

    ReplyDelete

The latest at the Liverpool Collection

Welcome to Ліверпуль, home of Eurovision 2023. 37 countries did Come Together for the 67th Eurovision Song Contest. Ukraine won the 2022 Tor...